Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Quick Update

At the request of the lovely Suzanne B in CA, I'm here to give you an update on how we're faring here in the Lone Star State. I didn't realize anyone was wondering about us :)
Bryan and I were fortunate to get out of the Houston area (where I was working and he was doing an ER rotation) before Ike made his grand entrance. Our parents both stayed in Houston to ride out the storm. Luckily they all made it through safely and only had minor issues like trees down, fence damage and of course no electricity. At this point neither of them have had their power restored. Luckily Ike brought some cooler weather to Houston so the lack of A/C has been somewhat bearable from what we've been told.
When I returned home I began covering the daily tasks of my team at work and have been doing that for the past week. It has been very hectic and I'll be glad when things get back to some new version of normal in Houston. I've literally been rolling out of bed and sitting with my tush glued to the desk chair all day, every day this week. I've been dressed like a hobo and I'm sad to confess that my hair looks like a wild animal on my head. This is one of the many dangers of naturally curly hair and I have fallen victim to bad hair days all week. I had a moment of sheer panic today when the doorbell rang and I realized I may have to answer the door looking like a crazy lady. Fortuntely it was just the UPS man delivering a baby swing for our little baby boy.
I hope everyone else across the US who was impacted by Ike is doing well and is safe. We are fortunate that we were able to leave town in time and that our families and their homes are safe. Please keep the rest of the people in the coastal areas of Texas and Louisiana in your prayers as many of them were not as lucky.

3 comments:

smileysk8 said...

Glad to hear y'all are safe. I didn't realize you were in Houston. We are in the Houston area too. Good to know there is another Kyrgyz kid coming to our area!

Lori said...

Good to hear from you!! We WERE wondering!!! Lots of prayers went out for all during that storm!

And TOTALLY hear you about the curly hair...I don't even care any more...just call me crazy lady so we can move past the fact that each hair follicle has a mind of its own--and NONE of them ever coordinate!!! :)

Suzanne said...

Betsy, thanks for the update. I'm relieved to hear you're safe and sound.

-Suzanne