Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 14, 2008

Being Equipped For Travel

I'm proud to announce that the To-Do list is dwindling. At this point, I'm sure I will still have to make a couple more runs to Target for last minute stuff, but the bulk of it is set aside and ready to go in the suitcases.

The stack of items that will travel with us to Kyrgyzstan seems pretty substantial at this point. Keep in mind that I'm being brave and selfless by limiting myself to 2 pairs of shoes, one of which will be on my feet on the plane. I am hoping for a stroke of genius and a little bit of Mary Poppins when I start to pack those suitcases. Remember that scene were Mary Poppins works her crazy nanny magic on that carpet bag and pulls out all kinds of things from her bag?

That's what we are in need of right about now. A Mary Poppins carpet bag that does not exceed the 50 lb weight limit that is cruely set by British Airways. After some research I figured out that British Airways will likely charge us close to $120 for any extra checked bags because ... get this!... a trip from Texas to Kyrgyzstan counts as "longhaul". Who knew. ;)
So.....at this point, A Mary Poppins carpet bag might be our only hope. We are in search of a bag with a 'black hole' quality that will hold an immeasurable amount of baby paraphenalia, orphanage donations, and travel sized shampoo. If anyone has a bag like that, be a sweetheart and let us borrow it for our worldwide adventure. We'll definitely put it to good use.

On a more serious note, I'm already struggling with how in the world I'm going to walk out of that orphanage and leave Precious Boy there. This is the one part where I am not sure if I am brave enough.

I recently saw an old friend from college at a baby shower I was hosting with my best girl friends. She has spent many years volunteering in Romanian orphanages, and I shared with her about how we will have to leave our baby in Kyrgyzstan in between trips. She gave me some of the wisest advice I have received in this whole process.

Jenny said we needed to go on this trip spiritually equipped. She said we need to have in our minds, in our hearts, or on a notecard all the verses that tell us it is okay to leave that baby in the orphanage. We need to know the truth that God will protect him until we can come back to get him, and that God will continue to protect him for the rest of his life!

Bryan started working today on gathering verses that we can rely on when we reach that point in our journey. I think it's easy to believe that you will remember those truths in a difficult time... but the reality is I think we will be grasping for encouragement when we walk out of that orphanage on the last day!

So while most of the things on the packing list were purchased at Target and require a Mary Poppins carpet bag, the spiritual equipment we will require is not something that can be placed in checked luggage or a carry on! We are excited about this journey and can hardly wait for it to begin.

4 comments:

Michele said...

We will be over here the same time as you for our pick up trip. If you would like to talk or meet up to eat let us know. You can read my blog. at : www.dreamtocometrue.blogspot.com
So just let me know if you would like to meet.

keely said...

We will praying for your spiritual preparedness!

Clare and Jerry said...

Betsy,

You're a riot! Love the Mary Poppins carpet bag analogy : )

2 words of advice: 1) REI was the only place that sold containers small enough for that quart-sized liquid carry on. They say you can take 3 oz containers...sure, you can get like 2 of them in a quart-sized bag! 2) Things I wouldn't pack next time: workout clothes, too many snacks, hats, too many books, TP, that 3rd pair of shoes : )

Good luck and do weigh those bags!

-Clare

Maria said...

I am going to share a truth that God has revealed to me during this hardest part of the wait. She is His. She is not mine and never will be fully mine. She is on loan from Him. I get the privilege of parenting and molding her and being her mama, providing her love and support and teaching her about God, but all of her life is ultimately His. He is just not ready to give her to me yet. He is still taking care of her. I hope this helps you!! Big hug!