I can hardly believe I am about to write a blog post telling all about how we met our son! It still sounds crazy and doesn't feel real.
Kuba picked us up around 11:45 to begin the drive to Tokmok. I was able to quickly observe that if you have a weak stomach, get car sick or are a nervous passenger then traveling from Bishkek to Tokmok is definitely not the road trip for you! My favorite practice is that if you want to pass someone, you just drive down the center of the road (where a center stripe would be painted in the US). Apparently the favorite time to do this is while you are heading for a dump truck! Surprisingly, neither of us were that panicked by the driving. We enjoyed the scenery and felt remarkably calm during the 1 hour 15 minute drive. I didn't take any pictures of the country side this time but I feel confident I will have more chances to do so!
When we got to the orphanage there were 4 other families there picking up their babies! It was a really neat experience to see all of them so elated to bring those babies home. It was also really touching to see the caregivers say goodbye to the babies. They were clearly upset to see them go and love them very much.
We waited outside for a little bit before Kuba led us into the baby house where Caleb is. They brought him out to us in what I like to call his "Strawberry Shortcake costume". It was a onesie that is pink with strawberries on it. Poor baby, dressed like a baby girl! We are hopeful they will start to dress him in some of the clothes we brought for him.
Holding him for the first time was just surreal. I know I can't do it justice. He is such a calm, sweet and darling baby boy. I think the caregivers had woken him up to come see us, but didn't seem too upset about it! We were able to hold him, talk to him and kiss him for 2 hours before it was time to say goodbye until tomorrow morning. We felt like some of the developmental concerns we had have improved since our last update about him, although he definitely needs some work on holding his head up! We noticed that his arms and legs were stronger than we expected and he was often straightening his legs out and 'pushing off' from us while we held him.
We can't wait to go back to see him again tomorrow and to get to know him even better. For now we are in desperate need of more sleep and some food to tide us over until tomorrow morning's delicious breakfast buffet!




15 comments:
The first visit is so exciting!! Take in every minute of it!
How exciting!!! I'm so glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Ahh, I had to deal with my middle boy being dressed in pink too. Once we got him home--off with the hippie hair(boy cut) and into boy clothes. Never looked back--except when Julia dresses him up in a princess costume! I look forward to your updates.
My heart is just busting full for you three.
Happy to hear you have meet your son. God's love is great, He is demonstrating this by making it possible for you and Caleb to be together. May He continue to Bless you and watch over you during this very special occasion ".....He will be a joy and delight to you, many will rejoice at His birth....." Luke 1:14
Blessings to you as you share this special time getting to know your sweet son.
We couldn't be happier for you all. Now be sure to take a few "family" photos of the 3 of you together. We missed that in all the excitement of the first few days. What an amazing cooincidence that you were able to experience Gotcha Day with some of the other families. What I wouldn't give!!! And as for the girly outfit, relish it. Someday you'll be sharing belly laughs with Caleb about it ; )
So, so happy for you!
There are no words to describe the enormous sense of joy I felt when reading your words. How indescribably precious and honored I feel to have a window into your family's great joy. Thank you, God, for giving her this gift of writing to be able to share this incredible journey with us. Please continue to bless their time together and prepare her for the difficult part of her journey. Give them the strength and trust they will need to endure.
Awww... so sweet! I loved reading about your first meeting. Continued best wishes to you!
that is so exciting! I can only imagine the love your heart must be filled with. I hope the rest of the week is amazing!
I am a friend of Holly's and have been following your journey. I was so excited to see that you have finally met your son! I look forward to more updates.
How wonderful! Savor every moment!
Congratulations on meeting Caleb!!! We are so happy for you... Hoping you get a chance to peep in on our sweet baby boy! Soak up every moment...
God bless you all!
Holly
"Let the children come to me." Mark 10:14
I am filled with joy for you guys!
Bethany
Congratulations! That is so exciting! I found it amazing too how much the caregivers really care about the children. it made it a tiny bit easier to leave our little one. If you happen to go into his room, can you check on our girl and give her a kiss for us (I'm assuming they are in the same room since they are one day apart in age). Her name is Asema. Big hugs to you!
Congratulations Betsy and Brian!! Can't wait to meet Caleb someday.
Post a Comment