Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, June 19, 2008

From Paper Baby to Precious Boy

I bet you all thought receiving our I-171H today was enough excitement for the week. Well, you were wrong.
It is with joyful hearts and tears in our eyes that we are able to share with you that we have accepted a referral for a precious baby boy!!! The days of "Paper Baby" are long gone. We now have a beautiful face to put with our long dream of having a baby.
On Tuesday night I began to stress about Bryan's upcoming away rotation for Medical School. They are basically like month-long interviews, so not something we want to reschedule or cancel if we can avoid it. Based on the advice of Maria to pray for 'specifics', I had been praying for our travel times to be at the end of July or early August when Bryan has a long break in his schedule. And of course we had continued to pray for a healthy child to become a part of our family.

I sent an anxiety-ridden email to our coordinator late on Tuesday night expressing my scheduling concerns and asking for advice on when to schedule his rotation. Kate replied back, calmed my anxiety and told me to give her a call the next day. I called her around 11:40am our time. The last thing I expected to hear was that they had a baby for us! We were still under the impression that we were # 3 on the list for a baby boy and even further down on the girl list. In fact, Bryan and I had commented on Tuesday night that we didn't expect a referral until the end of July!
Kate began to tell me about the new baby boy referral she had just received, and after I finished freaking out I quickly agreed to have her send us his picture and medical information. I paged Bryan at the hospital with a "911" page! Poor guy, he probably thought I'd slipped in the tub and had a head injury! We agreed to wait and look at the referral information together when he got home.
In a true test of self control, I waited for 5 hours with that information sitting in my Inbox!! It was all worth it when Bryan got home and we were able to review the information together and see our son's angelic face for the first time. We fell in love with him instantly! It would probably be an understatement to say we are crazy about him! We'd love to brag and show off his picture, but until he is legally ours we won't be able to share his picture publicly. Just trust us when we say he is SUPER CUTE.
We feel blessed that all the information we have indicates that he is a healthy little boy who is thriving. We have been fortunate enough to have pediatricians who specialize in International Adoption review his file and give us reassurance and recommendations. Our agency plans to schedule our first trip to meet him at the end of July. We can hardly wait although we have lots to do to get ready!
God has showed His providence throughout our entire adoption process - scheduling our home study with ease, finding a great agency, helping our paperwork to go quickly and smoothly - and He certainly didn't let us down this time either! He continues to go before us and prepare a smooth path for us to adopt our child.

We are so thankful for all of you who have been faithful readers and supporters of us throughout this process. It still doesn't feel quite real to us yet, and I often look at his picture (the new background on our computer!) and can't believe that God and the people of Kyrgyzstan are going to give him to us. What an honor and blessing!

34 comments:

Jeanne said...

Wow! Congratulations to you both!! I am so excited that I get to be first to leave a comment!

Carolyn said...

That is a much bigger wahoo! than the previous post. I am so pumped to be an aunt and can't wait to meet the little cutie in person! I am praying for you guys that everything continues to go smoothly. Love you!

Clare and Jerry said...

Unbelievable joy!!! Congratulations on your baby boy! Do you have a name in mind yet? We'll be following your story and wish you all the best. I have a feeling you'll be awesome parents ; )

Hugs, Clare

Anonymous said...

I just cannot stop tearing up, I am just so overjoyed for you both and will keep praying and praying for a smooth rest of this process. We love your little boy that has already been born (I win the poll!) so much. Love love love, "Aunt" Jamie

TheHappyNeills said...

congratulations! you'll LOVE having a boy! they're just so great.

Carol M said...

Your baby boy is more than adorable! Many, many prayers have been answered, and thankfully,in God's perfect time.I couldn't be happier for the two of you and for your new son in Kyrgyzstan...our precious new grandson! Love him already! XXXOOO Mom

Maria said...

HOLY SMOKES GIRL!!!! I'm just so surprised and happy for you!!! What a blessing and answer to prayer. All my biggest hugs coming your way. Can't wait to follow along!!

Beth said...

Congratulations! You dont know me but I have been reading your blog for a while and am in the process of my own Kyrgyz adoption. I am soooooo excited for your family.

Jes said...

Congratulations!! To you both! How exciting...can't wait to follow your journey to your son!

Suzanne said...

Congratulations, Betsy and Bryan! Photo Baby is so much better than Paper Baby. And real, live 3-D baby is the best kind of baby of all! Now I can't wait to follow your travels to go meet him. Enjoy the anticipation and preparations!

Yee-haw, yer goin' to Kyrgyzstan!

-Suzanne

Aunt Lucy said...

Congratulations. This little boy will grow up to be a man with so much love around him....Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift....." 2 Corinthians 9:15

Unknown said...

From Paper Baby to Precious Boy to Baby Pickett to unbelievable. I am so excited and so thankful. I cannot wait to hold my grandson. I want him right now. My prayers continue for safe travels.

Love, GranJan

Karla said...

This is so amazing! What a blessing. Do you have any names picked out?

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just seeing your blog for the first time today! And CONGRATULATIONS, and Praise the Lord!!
What BIG news. Things happened so quickly for you! God bless you guys!

Anonymous said...

That is just awesome news!!! I am so excited for you both and hope that your 1st first trip comes quickly and you have that baby boy in your arms!! Congrats!!

Nancy said...

Congrats, Betsy and Bryan! When I read the news, my heart skipped a beat! I am truly excited for you both. Love, Nancy

Mom to 2 Angels said...

Congrats on your referral!

Scottie said...

Congrats to you both! We can't wait to meet the latest addition to the Pickett family tree!

Stephanie said...

IT'S A BOY!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so excited for you two!!

Love,
Steph H.

Brigitte et Claude said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

OMG!!!!!! I cannot tell you how excited we are for y'all!!!! What an amazing day! I am just dying to see his picture; I am sure you will post it as soon as you are able to. What an amazing day for your family! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

Brigitte et Claude said...

Congratulations !! I had voted for a boy !!

I have been following your journey, we are also in the process of adopting from Kyrgyzstan. See, you also have lurkers on your blog ... ;-)

Brigitte
Québec, Canada

Rachel said...

AHHHH!!!!

Lisa Brotherton said...

Betsy and Bryan,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
What an amazing week for you.
Life is good!
God is great!

Corinne said...

So very happy for you!!I am enjoying following your blog and your journey.I hope to be in your shoes soon.Congratulations!

Jessica said...

We are sooo happy that you have a son! What a wonderful blessing and I'm so glad that your prayers have been answered! We can't wait to meet your son and he and Jacob can play together!!! ;-)

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted what I asked of Him..."
1 Sam 1:27

Brian, Jessica and Jacob

Evan, Courtney, Porter & Eli said...

Betsy and Bryan--Wow and Congratulations--Reading your news was so exciting!!! Can't wait to see what he looks like and hear about your travels!

Audrey said...

I am blown away!!! I never expected to be reading that today!!I'm at a loss for words... This is AMAZING, WONDERFUL, EXCITING, AWESOME news!!! I'm beside myself I'm so excited for you guys! What perfect timing. You guys are going to be great, loving parents! I can't wait to meet your son.

Monica said...

Wonderful news! I am SO excited for you and can't wait to see pics of your little one when you can share them.
Congrats and Best Wishes!!!

Allison said...

Congratulations!!! I am SO happy for you. Such wonderful news!

Rita said...

Betsy and Bryan

We have been following your journey to adopt a baby. We were so excited to read your news. The two of you will be wonderful parents and boys are so much fun and full of energy! Can't wait to see pics of your new precious baby boy.
Love
Billy, Rita, Tay, and Garrett

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I am excited beyond words. Y'all are going to be such fantastic parents. I can't wait to meet him!

Jennifer said...

We are so excited for you guys! What an answered prayer. We can't wait to meet him and share this life changing experience with you. This could not be happening to two better people. We love you!

janiece said...

CONGRATULATIONS!I just got to check my blogs and I read about your wonderful news. how exciting!