Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let's Rock N' Roll, USCIS

Way to go, Fed-Ex. Our I-600A arrived a day early in San Antonio and is now ready to be processed! For those of you who are not well-versed in the rare and complex language I call "International Adoptionese", the I-600A is the "Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition." This form gets us pre-approved to bring an orphan into the country. Basically, it's one of the first steps for the federal government to make sure we are legit. I guess it's not ok to bring random babies into the country for permanent residence without permission.
We had to send in copies of our birth and marriage certificates (to prove our citizenship and marriage) and a copy of our home study. Oh, and of course, a decent chunk o' change because nothing in International Adoption is free! Once they review our documents, we will be issued a fingerprint appointment. We will have to travel to the USCIS San Antonio office to get fingerprinted so they can do more background checks. The final step is for USCIS to issue us an I-171H, which gives us permission to bring an orphan into the country. I plan to strap that form to my body during trip 2 so it doesn't get lost.
Our social worker told us that the San Antonio office tends to take a full 90 days from start to finish before we get our I-171H. I say, let's rock n' roll USCIS! Other adoption bloggers in other states have seen their forms get processed in a few weeks, even a few days!!! Show us what you're made of, San Antonio USCIS!
Hopefully that was a good enough pep-talk for my friends at San Antonio USCIS. I'm thinking they will be inspired to work super fast thanks to my encouragement! :)

6 comments:

Burke Wilson said...

Betsy and Brian-

Katy and Travis introduced me to your blog this past weekend while I was visiting. I'm excited about following your journey to adoption. I hope you guys are doing well. Talk soon!

Burke

Jes said...

Besty and Brian,

We had our fingerprints done on April 3rd. We haven't heard back though yet ;) Not exactly sure how long it takes in WI...except that we had ours done in Minneapolis, MN. Hmmm...

Best of luck on a fast appointment!

Holly said...

Go, paperwork masters of the state, GO!!!!! We are rooting for you!

Monica said...

Just checking in on your journey... looks liek things are moving along just great!
Continued best wishes to you,
Monica

Julie Rhodes said...

Paper Baby will be very well-traveled at the end of this process, all sophisticated and cultured and everything:). I love your blog and really think you really should write a book about this process. What a great way to keep up to date with you!!

Love,
Sister Rhodes

Gordon Rhodes said...

Betsy and Brian,

That is so great that you guys are adopting...what a blessing to that little child to have you. If you get a chance, check out Julie's blog sometime.

http://wetbehindtheears.squarespace.com/