Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Friday, April 25, 2008

Thumb Obesity

We went to get our fingerprints done for an FBI background check. Right now this type of background check is not part of the Kyrgyzstan dossier. Our agency has a feeling that the Embassy might require this when they resume the adoption process in the next few weeks, so we decided to think ahead and get the ball rolling.
Our old friends at the local police department were happy to help us out. Luckily, I learned my lesson from last time about how they require EXACT CHANGE, so this time we did not have to write a humiliating check for $1.20.
This cute old lady was the one doing our fingerprints. They do inkless fingerprints and roll each finger across this old-school looking FBI card. It's kind of awkward, because old lady was basically holding my hands for 5 minutes straight while she did the fingerprints. Then they put your fingerprint card in what I call the "Fingerprint EZ Bake Oven" and when they pull them out, Voila! They show up black on the FBI card!
I am proud to say that I have impressive fingerprinting abilities despite my lack of experience in this arena. You could say I'm a natural, because we only had to redo 1 thumb and my middle finger. Look at my wonderful accomplishment:

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for Bryan's fingerprinting skills. We were sad to learn while at the Police Department that he has a rare medical condition called "THUMB OBESITY". One of the main complications of this medical problem is inability to fingerprint effectively. That poor old lady had to redo his fingerprints at least 3 times before she got one that she considered mediocre. We are hoping that the FBI will check and see that 7 of his 10 fingerprints are good and assume the rest are ok. If not, it is probably fair to say that the FBI thinks he may have committed a crime with just his thumb, or just his pinkie since those fingers proved to be incompetent. Bryan demonstrated his disappointment:

All in all, if today had been a fingerprinting competition, I would have WON. In the meantime, we're going to start doing research on how to cure Bryan's thumb obesity!!

7 comments:

Rachel said...

You would think he would learn this stuff in med school...let's hope paper baby doesn't have his thumbs!

Jackie said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say 'hello' and wish you well with your adoption journey. (I brought my daugther home from Kyrg in December).

Congrats on checking 'fingerprinting' off your list!

Allison said...

Too funny. Maybe it will make him feel better to know that I, too, suffer from that condition. This is our third adoption and i think the police department cringes when they see me coming. They know what a problem I am with fingerprints!

Anonymous said...

haha! Poor Bryan! Tell Bryan his friend Jamie thinks his thumbs are just fine and dandy - God must have known he was going to be a doctor and gave him those fingers to have special skills for helping others! I am trying to be positive here.

Monica said...

We just went and did those exact same fingerprints this morning for our homestudy! Some of my prints were really bad too.

Will you tell me what you are doing with the fingerprint cards now...sending it to your agency? And they will send it in to the FBI?
Thx,
Monica
monica 1216 at yahoo dot com

Suzanne said...

Perhaps Bryan could take up thumb wrestling to help trim those pudgy digits down!

-Suzanne

Anonymous said...

well that explains why Bryan couldn't beat me at NCAA College Football. How long ago was that? It doesn't matter, go Buffaloes! :)