Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Our First Bishkek Souvenir

When we first decided to adopt from Kyrgyzstan, I decided to ask one of my coworkers if he had ever been there since I knew he was originally from Russia. I figured the chances were slim, but what the heck... I love information and was hoping he might have some for me. Well lo and behold, he was born in Bishkek and still has extended family there! This fact absolutely shocked me, especially when you consider how big the former Soviet Union is. It has been so exciting for me to learn about Bishkek from him, to ask him questions about the culture and to have him share in our adoption excitement.
Last week my coworker returned to Bishkek for the first time in many years so he could visit his extended family. He was thoughtful enough to bring back our very first Bishkek souvenir!! He referred to it as "a sweet Bishkek fridge magnet". I had to admit to him that we really would prefer a baby from Bishkek, but a fridge magnet will have to do for now!
We are now proudly displaying our first item from Bishkek on the fridge in our little home. It says Kyrgyzstan in Russian on the top and in English on the bottom. The symbol in the middle is the same image that is on the national flag of Kyrgyzstan.


I have to say it feels pretty nice to have a little piece of Kyrgyzstan in our home :)

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Most excellent! I love fridge magnets. How will we be able to display our future chillins' artwork and spelling tests without them?

-Suzanne

Carolyn said...

Wahoo! You finally got your magnet! That is so great and so cute that he did that. Can't wait to see it in person one day! Love you guys!

Lisa Brotherton said...

It is truly astonishing how small our world is, isn't it?

Jeanne said...

Love it! I can't wait to get one!